Introduction to the MJX Bugs 3
If you have the budget for a moderately priced drone this one could be a great option. In our MJX Bugs 3 drone Review, we are going to tell you all about this awesome drone.
As you move up from less expensive drones you really see a huge jump in features and quality. Keep reading to see if this is the right drone for you.
Who Is MJX?
MJX Toys is an RC toy manufacturer located in China that focuses on cheap and high-quality drones.
However, one of their flagship products is the official Ferrari licensed RC car so you don’t have to worry about the quality of their products. They have the Ferrari’s support.
With a large emphasis on product durability and customer service, they aim to destroy the preconceptions most people have of Chinese made products.
MJX Bugs 3 drone Description
It’s jam-packed full of features, it’s durable, and you get all of that for a great price.
What’s not to like?
Here’s what you get:
- Brushless motors– The MJX Bugs 3 drone has brushless motors which means a smoother, easier to control flight with less overheating. This also helps increase battery flight, which means more flying fun and less charging!
- Long range– The drone has a range of about 400 meters which can be increased with some antenna mods. However, even without the mods, the range is great.
- 2 flying modes– With a beginner and advanced flight mode, you don’t have to worry about breaking your drone as a beginner or getting bored with it as an advanced pilot.
- 6-axis gyroscopes– The gyros help auto-balance and keep the MJX Bugs 3 drone even while flying. Flying in high winds isn’t recommended, but lower winds shouldn’t be a problem.
- Automatic high-temp and lock protection– Many drones don’t have temperature and lock protection which means you can easily burn out your motors. That won’t happen with the MJX Bugs 3 drone so you don’t have to worry about breaking your expensive toy.
- High capacity battery– The 1800mah battery will last for about 18 minutes. We recommend getting a couple of extra ones in order to maximize the fun.
- No registration needed– You don’t have to register the MJX Bugs 3 with the FAA, so you can enjoy it as soon as you get it.
MJX Bugs 3 FPV
This means you can’t fly it with video right out of the box, but you can start practicing the controls right away.
However, it does have a camera mount that works with the GoPro Hero 2, 3, and 4, and many other action cameras, so if you have a camera with Wi-Fi, you can use that.
However, if you want a cheaper option, you can get the MJX FPV mod and install it on your drone to get FPV mode for less than 50 bucks.
You’ll get the much-needed 720p camera, instant streaming to your phone, and everything you need to install the camera on your drone.
MJX Bugs 3 Review – Other Comments
However, even this near-perfect drone still has some annoying issues:
- Blade guards damage the blades– The blade guards are more flexible than they should be and they’ll hit the propellers every time you land causing them to chip.
- Blades are cheaply-made– This goes along with the issue above. If the propellers were of higher-quality, they probably wouldn’t get damaged by the guards.
- No camera included– This makes theMJX Bugs 3 cheaper, but this can be a deal-breaker for some.
- No altitude hold mode– Altitude hold is an amazing feature and we were surprised to see that the MJX Bugs 3 didn’t have it. This means you have to constantly keep adjusting the throttle stick to keep the MJX Bugs 3 even which can get annoying fast.
However, if the above issues don’t scare you, this might be a perfect option for you.
After all, the drone has so many positives that outweigh all of its negatives:
- Incredibly responsive and fast flight– The Bugs 3 is one of the fastest and most responsive drones on the market under $400. It’s a thrill to pilot, and even the beginner mode is quite fast.
- Very stable– Weaker winds don’t affect the MJX Bugs 3 at all. And while it’s not recommended to fly it in strong winds, you can still do it at your own risk.
- Durable – All of the drones is durable except for the propellers and those can be easily replaced. In fact, we recommend buying a couple of 7-inch propellers as soon as you get theMJX Bugs 3. So you can make sure you can fix it quickly once they break.
MJX Bugs 3 Review
The Bugs 3 is a great and highly recommended drone. However, it doesn’t come with a camera which can be a big plus or a huge minus.
It’s packed with features, and while the durability of the propellers leaves you wishing for more, the rest of the drone is highly durable and the propellers are cheap to change.