What is the Hubsan X4 h5025s?
Hubsan is a well-known company when it comes to the manufacturing of drones. Majority of their work, however, has been on making toy drones some of which have been insanely successful. There is, unfortunately, a big difference between toy drones and professional drones. The Hubsan X4 h502s is among the first professional drones from Hubsan. This drone is designed for FPV exploration but just how well does it perform? Has Hubsan been able to replicate their success in toy drones here? Is its performance and overall construction worth your cash?
In our Hubsan X4 H502S Review, we are going to show you everything you need to know about this drone. This moderately priced drone has many helpful technologies that will get you up and be flying in no time. Keep reading to see if this could be your next drone.
If you’ve been looking for an affordable, but a high-quality drone, you’ve probably heard of Hubsan.
They’re focused on pushing the boundaries of drone flight and are always trying to minimize the price without sacrificing quality. They have every type of drone you could want, so whether you’re a seasoned professional looking for an $800+ drone, or if you’re looking a starter drone for your kid, they should have the perfect option for you.
The Hubsan X4 h502s does look good and is manufactured using lightweight materials that bring its overall body weight to 364g. This has reduced its load slightly while increasing its speed and battery conservation. When you mount the GoPro camera, the load will inevitably increase and hence you should expect the speeds, and range to reduce. The bodywork is mostly made of tough plastic that protects the interior making the entire drone durable. To improve protection even further is a cool emergency parachute system that helps to bring down the drone safely in case it falls from the sky. The parachute, of course, adds extra grams of weight which might end up slowing the drone. You can remove it but this would mean that you are left with no protection. The parachute can be reused and hence you don’t have to worry about replacing it every time it goes off.
Hubsan X4 h502s comes with a built-in GPS that makes positioning much easier. You will be able to fly through accurate and precise paths which is very crucial especially when you are doing the professional filming. You can also take advantage of the ground station system to set out your route using a map displayed on the console. You can also alter the route path in case you change your mind midair.
Hubsan X4 h502s has an incredible camera that can record 30 HD frames per second! The quality of the images is remarkable but you should know that there are two variations to choose from and this directly affects stabilization and image quality. You can either purchase the standard piece which is fitted with motorized gimbals but it, unfortunately, doesn’t have a stabilization system. This means that although you can rotate the camera, stability will be a big issue that will consequently affect the stability of your footages. The other option is to get the more advanced 3-axis version that comes with an inbuilt stabilization system. This improves the footage but the problem is it’s quite pricey.
Battery and Range
The Hubsan X4 h502s is powered by a 7000mAh smart Li-Po battery which is really powerful helping it to fly for more than 30 minutes before it runs out. This is a great record and it even beats some other much more expensive drones like the DJI Phantom 4.
The biggest challenge here, however, is that once you plug in the camera, the increase in load reduces this flying time. This can be viewed by many as a major limitation because as an FPV drone, leaving the camera out to enjoy longer flying time seems pointless and this is where a few other drones get an upper hand against the Hubsan X4 h502s.
It is advisable that you get an extra pair of batteries when using this drone. These will allow you to switch them and keep filming in case one set of batteries goes flat. Now, we wish that switching and resuming flight was as quick as it sounds but Hubsan discourages this and instead recommends that you wait for around 10 minutes before flying out again. This is supposed to cool off the motor and prevent cases of overheating which could damage the entire quad.
When it comes to Range the Hubsan X4 h502s performs very well. The official manufacturer quotes that the drone, when fully assembled, can go for roughly 1000 meters. When going through multiple user reviews, we were glad to see that a few users were able to go way above this limit with some recording a range of up to 1600 meters!
The transmitter you’ll get when purchasing the Hubsan x4 h502s depends whether you’ll go for the cheaper standard version or the high edition. This will also be reflected in the performance of these transmitters and as you can guess, the cheaper version has more issues than its counterpart. Firstly, the overall appearance and feel of this transmitter are really cheap and shady. The finishing isn’t as great as most of us would have expected and it gets worse when you look at the small display. Its responsiveness is good but its exterior construction makes it difficult to enjoy some other probably useful features. In summary, this transmitter is made just to get the job done with minimal attention given to the looks, touch, and display.
With some extra cash, you can get the H7000 transmitter that gives you control over two relatively big displays, one for FPV monitoring and the other for telemetry. You will also enjoy its elegant appearance and overall quality. In trying to deliver all this, the transmitters ends up being a bit heavy.
Hubsan X4 H502S Description
The Hubsan X4 H502S is a high-quality FPV (first person view) drone.
It doesn’t offer the best value for the price in this price range, but it’s still a solid option if you have your eye set on it.
It has some really cool features like:
- GPS follow-me mode- The drone knows where it is and where you are at all times which means it can capture all of your adventures without having to worry about controlling it.
- Headless mode– With headless mode, you don’t have to worry about figuring out where the front or back of the drone is when it’s hundreds of feet away from you. This makes piloting the drone easier and more fun.
- Altitude hold mode– Once you get the drone up to where you want it to be, you can press the altitude hold button and focus on zooming around without worrying about getting too high or too low.
- Return to home feature– If the Hubsan X4 loses connection to your remote it will use the GPS in the drone to go to its “home point” and land there. Now you don’t have to worry about sending the drone too far away from you as it will always come back!
- Real-time HD camera– The Hubsan x4 h502s has a 720p HD camera. It’s not 1080p, but it’s enough to capture cool video and photos.
- First Person View flying– If you’ve ever wanted to participate in drone races or pretend that you’re piloting a Star Wars ship, this is your chance. With live video streamed straight to the remote you can fly around without needing a direct visual of your drone.
- Registration- The Hubsan X4 H502S is under the FAA limit of 250 grams, so you don’t have to register it. However, keep in mind that it’s illegal to fly it close to airports or government buildings.
Hubsan X4 H502S Mods
While the Hubsan X4 h502s is already a great drone, there are some changes that can be made to make it even better.
The range of the drone is about 200 meters, but with the mods below you should be able to double or even triple the range.
Keep in mind that these changes will take some time and effort, and you have to be careful because if you break the drone, you can’t return it.
- Buy an antenna from Amazon, take apart the remote, and install the new ones. This should double your range.
- When the drone turns on, change the frequency to 5.7 ghz. This will increase the range by 15-25%. Combining this mod with #1 should get you to a range of 500 meters with no issues.
- If you want even more range, take apart the drone (be careful!), and move the receiver antennas away from each other and all of the other wiring to prevent interference. This will increase the range to 600-700 meters and maybe even 800-900 meters in an open field.
We also recommend buying extra batteries to maximize flight time.
One battery only gets you 10 minutes of flight time, and that’s not nearly enough to enjoy everything the Hubsan x4 h502s has to offer.
You can also get some extra propellers because if you fly the drone in FPV mode often, there’s a higher chance that you’ll break it.
Hubsan X4 H502S Review – Other Comments
Even without the mods, this is a high-quality drone that you will enjoy. Some people have gotten defective drones. But they have a generous return policy and the chance of you getting a drone with issues is small.
Some have complained about interference when getting close to the drone’s maximum range. But if you perform 1 of the mods mentioned above, it should be gone.
The “return home” feature is a favorite of many, and there’s a high chance you’ll end up using it even if you’ve been flying drones forever.
Hubsan X4 h502s Specifications
- Gimbal: 1-axis, 3-axis
- Dimensions: 30 by 30 by 20cm
- Weight: 1400g
- Flight time: around 25 minutes
- 1v 7000mAh 25C smart Li-Po battery
- 36km/h Top speed
- 1000m FPV transmission distance
- 30fps FPV frame rate
- 30fps camera frame rate
- 1500m control range
- Features a GPS automatic return
- Transmitter: H7000 Smart Transmitter (High-end version), FPV1 (Standard version)
Conclusion on Hubsan X4 H502S
The Hubsan X4 Pro has some really good specs that make it a decent FPV drone. We don’t have many issues with it but the biggest problem was the variation between the standard and high-version. The standard edition is like a piece where Hubsan tries to show you what they are capable of doing without actually doing it. With the Hubsan X4 h502s, you can’t help but feel like they are holding something back just so they can include the features on the high-version and charge you more. It’s therefore fair to say that purchasing the standard version will feel like getting short-changed and hence only individuals on a higher budget will be able to enjoy the high-edition drone.
All in all, the Hubsan X4 H502S is a fun FPV drone that doesn’t break the bank. It does require some modding in order to maximize its range, but it works well without the mods.