Product: Holy Stone F181 Review
Rating: 4.3/5 stars with 2,000 reviews
Cheapest Place To Buy: Amazon
Are you looking for an awesome drone for your kid or a beginner? The F181 could be a great choice for them.
While there are several great drones out there, this is our number one recommendation for kids and there are several reasons why.
Hopefully, by the end of this review, you’ll see why we love this drone so much and why he could be a great first drone for your child.
Who Is Holy Stone?
Holy Stone is a relatively new company being founded in 2014. They specialize in high quality toys for all age groups.
They strive to give you the best bang for your buck offering high quality products at competitive prices. All while priding themselves with their excellent customer service.
You will see then personally responding to any complaints you might see on their products on Amazon.
If you have a question you will receive personalized answers not generic responses. Which is hard to come by these days when so many companies Outsource their customer service.
You can also find many videos and support on their own website.
The F181 is only one of the best drones out there for its price point.
It comes with several features that make it well worth the price:
- One Key Return – this is a great feature for beginners or children to help you prevent losing the drone. Simply press the return button and if you paired your drone correctly with the remote it should come back to home base.
- Headless driving mode – this is another great feature that makes it easier for beginners to fly. It allows the drone to fly forwards or backwards according to the remote regardless of which direction it is facing.
- Altitude hold function – if you are planning on using this to shoot videos or images this feature allows you to let go of the throttle stick and it will have her at the same altitude.
- 360 degree flip – like mini drones out there you can use this drone to perform a 360 degree flip either forwards backwards left or right.
- Batteries – it comes with two 3.7 volt LiPO batteries that give it about a 9-minute flight time and take about 80 minutes to charge. The battery charger is also included.
- Range – the manufacturer recommends a range of 50 to 100 meters you will probably want to test this out after you get accustomed to flying it so you don’t lose or crash the drone.
- Remote – it comes with a 2.4 gigahertz remote transmitter that will give you all of the critical stats that you need when flying your drone like the battery status, signal strength, speed and whether or not the lights are on.
- Age recommendation – the manufacturer recommends 14 years and up however, if you know your child’s capabilities younger children may be able to fly this one with ease.
- Registration – the F181 drone is under the half pound weight limit so you do not need to register this drone with the FAA.
- Camera – he comes with a 2 megapixel 720P HD camera that will provide excellent pictures or video. However, you will need to provide your own SD card.
As you can see this drone comes with many great features which makes it great for beginner. Here is a great video from their website:
However, it is not without cons. Some other drones allow first person point of view which allow you to see live footage from the camera when you are flying. So, if that feature is important to you, you may want to check out other drones.
Another thing that could have improved this drone is its ability to accept higher-capacity battery upgrades. However, the manufacturer probably did this on purpose as it recommends a ten-minute find break in between sessions.
This is probably to help prevent the motors from burning up too quickly however, you will need to replace them at some point.
While it is a great feature, one thing you might find annoying is that the controller will continuously beep when you are flying in the headless mode.
Others have mentioned that the construction is not super easy and it can be kind of hard to swap out the batteries. However, these are just a few small presses to pay for such an excellent drone.
Most of the complaints seem to be from people who didn’t take the time to learn how to fly there drone properly before testing it out or could have possibly received a bad product. However, you will see many situations weren’t customer service sent out replacement drones.
You should buy a few replacement parts as soon as you buy this drone. Unless you are experienced and know you will not need them for a while, many first-time drone flyers end up breaking propellers or burning out motors too quickly.
They are relatively cheap and if you are having as much fun as we think you will it is inevitable that you will have to provide some maintenance for your drone.
Even though this drone has excellent blade guards you will probably have a propeller or two break at some point.
For about 30 bucks you can have spare propellers Motors and motor Wheels. We think this is worth it to have on hand especially if you are buying this drone for a child so you can quickly get back to flying action when one of these items breaks.
You can then reorder the items as needed.
Another accessory you might consider buying for your Holy Stone F181 drone is an extra set of batteries. For around 15 bucks you can get another two batteries which should bring your total flight time to anywhere from 30 to 40 minutes.
Especially if you have to drive somewhere like a field to fly your drone, you will want to make the trip worth it and by having extra batteries you’ll be able to enjoy your drone for a longer period of time before recharging.
However, don’t forget to take the 10-minute flying break in between sessions so you don’t burn up your motor to quickly.
Where To Buy?
We typically recommend Amazon When shopping online as they usually have the best prices and are one of the safest places to shop.
When you are looking at this F181 drone on Amazon you will see almost 2,000 customer reviews which will give you plenty of insight to read about.
Plus, you get free shipping with this item.
You will also be able to quickly grab extra parts or batteries should you decide you want to buy those at the same time or easily compare this drone to others that you have been considering.
As you can see in this review the Holy Stone F181 is a great choice for a first drone or drone for a kid. It comes with many great features at a pretty good price.
Obviously, you can pay more or less for other drones with more or fewer features that you are looking for, however, this one is a great drone for the price.
It cannot be recommended enough that you really take the time to learn about your drone by reading the instruction manual and watching several videos. You may even want to practice flying the drone in your home before you take it out into a field so that you really know what it is going to do.