In our DBPOWER UDI U842 review, we are going to pick this drone apart to tell you everything you need to know.
This is a high quality drone that is moderately priced and could be great for beginners or kids.
Keep reading to see if this could be your next drone.
Who Is DBPower?
Most of them are ranked very highly on Amazon, they have raving customer reviews, great customer service, and their drones are durable and a ton of fun.
The UDI U842 is the number 1 best-seller for a good reason.
It works great, has a ton of features, and all for an amazing price.
We’re sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised with what this drone has to offer.
- Multiple control options– You can control the drone using the provided remote, using your phone’s touchscreen, or using your phone’s gyroscopic sensors. We don’t recommend flying using the touchscreen as it’s less sensitive and fun than the joystick, but it’s awesome to tilt your phone and see the drone respond to your movements.
- Headless mode– It doesn’t matter which way the drone is actually facing. With headless mode the front of the drone will always face in the same direction it was facing when you started the drone. No more trying to re-orient yourself to be able to control it!
- FPV flight– You can get live footage of what your drone is seeing using your phone. It’s very cool, but sadly it only works up to a range of about 90 feet. You can extend it using a range extender to about 200 feet, but that’s it.
- No registration needed– The drone is under the FAA limit of half a pound, so you can fly this drone as soon as you get it without having to register it.
- Bonus battery included– DBPower knows that drone batteries don’t last long enough so they included an additional one to maximize your flight time.
- 4gb card included– Most drones don’t come with an SD card, but with the U842 you can record beautiful video right when you get the drone without having to worry about needing storage space.
- VR-flight– If you have a VR headset, you can put the phone in it and pilot the drone using the remote for very cool results. It doesn’t exactly feel like you’re flying, but it’s an amazing feeling. Great for entertaining kids at parties!
- 6-axis gyro– The 6 axis gyro guarantees stable and smooth flight and allows the drone to self-correct and adjust in the air to make flying easier and more enjoyable for you.
The drone has a 720p removable camera that sadly doesn’t move.
This means you need to move the entire drone to record stuff instead of being able to move the camera.
However, the video quality is true 720p and not 720p that looks like a flip-phone so you can get some beautiful shots if you have some drone piloting experience. There’s no flickering or shaking and the video is pleasant to watch even on bigger screens.
Obviously, you won’t be able to record movie-quality video with this drone, but for the price the camera is exactly what you would expect.
However, you have to use a smartphone to record video, so if you don’t have one you’re out of luck.
The UDI U842 is enjoyable to fly and comes with tons of features. However, that doesn’t mean that this drone is perfect.
It also has some negatives like:
- Low battery life– The drone only lasts 8 minutes on one battery which is below the industry standard of 12 minutes.
- Instructions in broken English- You should be able to figure out the instructions, but there might be a couple sentences that will confuse you. Don’t worry, they’re not key to having fun or being safe with the drone.
- Very responsive– This is usually a big thing, but be careful when you use the drone for the first time because it will take off extremely quickly and it might be hard to control it if you’re not expecting that.
However, the drone also has a ton of positives:
- Durable- This drone can take a beating which is great because it’s so ridiculously fast and responsive. Be careful when starting out because it’s much faster than what you might expect.
- Comes with extra propellers and battery– If you do break the propellers, you have a full-set as a backup so don’t worry about that. The extra battery also doubles your flight time, but we recommend getting at least 4 more extra batteries to maximize the fun when you go out to use the drone.
This is a great quality drone for a great price. It’s a great starter drone and you will definitely enjoy it.
However, this isn’t the right drone for you if you’re looking to use FPV and do some drone racing because the controller range is so short.
We recommend taking a look at our list of best drones under $200 here, and seeing if there’s anything that catches your eye.