What is the best mini drone?
Let’s face it, we can’t all spend thousands of dollars on big-name drones. Or maybe you are just looking for something to fool around the house with? That is when the best mini drone for beginners comes into play.
These are not that expensive and can still be a ton of fun.
Just don’t expect to have all of the bells and whistles in terms of performance.
What To look For?
For a beginner pilot, the mini drone really offers the best of both worlds. You can get an affordable remote-controlled aircraft that has many of the features of a higher priced quad.
But you don’t have to worry about lugging around a heavy piece of equipment or registering it with the FAA. It’s a win-win.
Due to the growing popularity of drone flying, lots of mini drones have flooded the market. Unfortunately, some of these miniature aircraft are substandard.
So, you need to know exactly what to look for when shopping for the best mini-drone.
- Flight Time: Most beginner drones have flight times of 5 to 10 minutes. Prepare yourself to buy extra batteries so that you can easily swap them out to get more flying time.
- Headless Mode: Mini-drones are lightweight by design so they can be difficult to control. Headless Mode helps to mitigate that.
- In this mode, you determine the direction of the aircraft with the controller. So, you don’t have to position the nose forward when you want to go in that direction.
- Return To Home Function: As the name implies, this feature means that the drone returns to the take-off position. This is very helpful for beginners flying mini-drones that can be susceptible to wind direction.
- Durability: You need something that can take a licking and keep on ticking. Make sure you check the customer reviews for positive feedback about the sturdiness of the drone you want to buy.
1. GoolRC T36
The 6-axis Gyro flight control system keeps the drone level while it’s up in the air which is an advantage for novices that want to learn to do tricks.
It also comes with Headless Mode and as we mentioned before, this makes it much easier to pilot. The GoolRC T36 also has One Key Return.
Plus, the 3D Flip feature will make kids/beginners feel like pros in no time.
This drone comes with a simple controller that looks like it could be used with a video game, another advantage for kid pilots.
You’ll get five-minute flights on the 3.7V 500mAh Li-Po battery that’s included. It takes about an hour to charge it. This package also includes extra batteries and propellers.
- It’s affordable, compact and very portable.
- It’s tough. This drone can take a beating and keep flying.
- Battery life is short, but it charges pretty fast.
- It’s small and doesn’t have a strong motor so it’s sensitive to the wind when flying outdoors.
The GoolRC is our #1 recommendation as best mini drone for beginners.
2. HS170 – Best Micro Drone For Beginners
The HS170 is equipped with a small 3.7V 350mAh battery that powers up to six minutes of flight time.
It’s outfitted with four rotors and you get four spare propellers in the package. The white blades in the front and the black ones in the back helps you to easily identify the direction the drone is facing.
The device also comes with blue and red LED lights which is an advantage if you plan on doing some flying at night. Headless Mode is included as well.
The quad is wind-resistant and comes with a low-interference 2.4GHz with a range of about 30 to 50 meters. The 6-Axis gyro stabilization system also offers smooth recovery from stunts and sudden movement.
- It’s an affordable starter drone that’s lightweight but still tough enough to withstand a novice flier’s crashes.
- Some customers have complained that the drone is difficult to fly unless you’re in a wide-open field.
3. Rabing Mini
It’s a foldable four-axis drone so small that you could fit it in your pocket.
This drone can be flown via an iOS or Android device. For a more immersive experience, you can insert your phone into a VR headset, but this isn’t included.
The Rabing Mini can be flown both indoors and outdoors. It has a built-in HD camera which captures sharp photos and video.
With real-time image/video transmission, you can control the flight and take pictures simultaneously.
The Rabing’s flight time ranges from 7 to 10 minutes. The 3.7V 220mAh battery takes about 30 minutes to charge. Its remote control has a range of about 100 meters.
This package also includes a USB charger, 4 extra propellers, a screwdriver and a user manual.
- The small size makes it ideal for flying indoors and outdoors.
- It’s extremely compact when folded which makes it safer to transport.
- You will lose connection if you fly it too far away from you.
4. Drocon Scouter
It may be small but it’s packed with lots of features that make flying easy and fun, including Altitude Hold, One Key Take off Landing, 3D Flips, and Headless Mode.
It also has a unique spinning function. With the touch of a button on the remote, the drone will hover at your desired height and start spinning automatically.
Night flying with this drone is safe and easy as it comes equipped with a built-in LED light on its head.
The Drocon Scouter has three switchable speed modes: Low / Middle / High Speed. This can help kids and beginners alike to build their flying skills gradually.
When you’ve gotten used to the experience, you can start flying faster.
The Drocon Scouter comes with a one Lithium-Ion battery but you can charge it one of two ways.
You can use the USB cable that’s included or the built-in cable inside the controller. You can use the built-in USB cable to charge the battery when the controller is on and it makes charging more convenient.
- The Drocon Scouter is small and foldable with features that make it a great starter drone.
- It’s compact and easy to store.
- Due to its small size, it can easily get tossed about by the wind.
- It doesn’t fly very high. You probably won’t be able to get it higher than most tree tops
5. Hubsan X4 H107L
All of these features make it an ideal starter drone for a new pilot. It’s a small drone that’s about as big as your hand. Despite its size, it’s pretty powerful.
This aircraft can perform 360° flips & rolls. With the 6-axis flight control system, you’ll get a very steady flight. It’s also a lightweight device but it’s durable with a high degree of crash resistance.
The frame even comes with small rubber feet, designed to help the drone withstand landings.
The Hubsan X4 H107L comes with a 2.4GHz radio control that has a range of about 100 meters. When
fully charged, you can expect a flight time of about 9 minutes.
- The Hubsan is a small, lightweight drone that newbies can master quickly because of its user-friendly controller.
- This drone only weighs about 28 grams and its lightweight means that its susceptible to the wind. So, if you want to fly it outdoors, choose a day that isn’t windy.
Conclusion on the best mini drone
There you have our top 5 recommendations for best mini drone beginners.
They are simple yet, will still get you up and flying quickly. The right one for you will depend on your budget and individual preferences.
Just remember to practice taking off and landing several times inside before letting fly outside. This will save you time, money and headache.