Looking for a high quality drone for under $200? Check out our Parrot AR Drone 2.0 Power Edition review to see if this could be it.
This drone offers one of the best flights in its class, despite a few known issues.
Keep reading to see if this is the right drone for you.
Who Is Parrot?
Parrot is a high-tech company that focuses on developing quality products with a 2-year warranty, a 30 day money-back guarantee, and free shipping for all drones.
Most of their products are way ahead of the market, and they aim to create things that stand out and are different from everything else out there.
While they have plenty of other, non-drone products, drones are their main focus.
They even have a “Parrot Education” program that aims to bring UAVs into classrooms and prepare students for the future. They provide EDU discounts, special applications, newsletters, and more, so you might be able to get a discount if you’re a teacher, student, or professor.
This is a great drone, but you have to make sure to buy it from a trusted seller.
There’s a ton of resellers out there who sell broken ones or package it improperly so it arrives broken.
Either way, you get:
- Intuitive phone controls– Control the drone with your Android or iPhone by connecting to its Wi-Fi. This is a very fun feature that you can read about down below.
- High-density batteries– They extended the per-battery flight time to 18 minutes. In reality, it’s about 15 minutes per battery, but it’s still much better than the previous versions’ 10 minutes. You also get an extra battery for double the fun!
- Automatic stability systems– With the included air-pressure sensors, the drone automatically stabilizes and stays upright even in 15mph winds. However, we don’t recommend flying in high winds because if you don’t have experience you can send the drone far away and lose it.
- Flip-mode– Nearly all drones now come with a “flip-mode” where you can press a button and flip the drone in all directions, and this one is no different. Impress your friends with your amazing piloting skills, but remember to get the drone up high to avoid hitting the ground.
- 160ft range– The drone doesn’t have amazing range because it requires Wi-Fi to control it, but this can be improved with a range extender. The range extender will double the range, but will stop the real-time battery display from working properly. However, the extra range is worth it.
- Easy video sharing– The drone automatically uploads the flying footage to your phone where you can easily share it to YouTube. If you get a free video-editing app, you can edit and produce complete films from your phone!
- 720p camera– The camera isn’t full HD, but it’s enough to impress your friends with an air-view of your adventures.
The phone controls are one of the coolest parts of this drone.
Simply download their free app on your phone, pair your device, and you’re ready to fly! It doesn’t matter if you have an iPhone or Android because it works equally well with all phones. However, if you have a Windows phone then you’re out of luck.
You can start with the simpler controls where you control it by tilting your device, or you can opt for the advanced controls option where you control every single movement of the drone.
The controls also allows for automatic take-off and landing if you’re nervous about accidentally breaking the drone with a hard descent.
Since the drone is controlled through Wi-Fi, you have to be careful to not let it out of your range, because if you do, it won’t come back.
You don’t just get the drone when you order it. You also get an extra battery and a full set of black, red, and blue propellers. If you want the GPS control and tracking ability, you can get the tracker here.
The drone is pretty sturdy, but we still recommend getting an extra hull as it’s likely you’ll damage it during one of the your flights. You can duct tape it and try to fix it up yourself, but after a couple of hard landings it will start falling apart.
The video quality isn’t amazing, but it’s good enough to document your adventures and show off to your friends. You won’t film a Grammy-winning movie on this, but for this price, you shouldn’t expect that.
All of the above are small issues, but the biggest issue is that Parrot has moved on to more expensive products so the cheaper ones like this drone don’t get any updates. While the bugs aren’t terrible, we’d still not rather have them, and Parrot is unlikely to fix them any time soon.
This is why we recommend buying a different drone like the Holystone F181 or something else on our list of the best drones under $200.
While the Parrot AR 2.0 is a high-quality drone, we don’t recommend buying it.
You are at risk of getting a defective one if you don’t buy it from the right source, and the drone won’t get any software updates so you’re stuck with what you get.
Instead, take a look at the drones on this list and see if there’s anything else that catches your eye.