Parrot Ar Drone 2.0 Elite edition Overview
In our AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition review,w we are going to show you why this used to be a really awesome drone.
However, even though Parrot no longer updates the software for it you may be able to find a deal on it as the price has come down.
Keep reading to see if it could be worth the investment.
Who Is Parrot?
Parrot is a large company that specializes in creating high-tech products that are above and beyond the competition.
They pride themselves on their customer service, and their main goal is to satisfy their customers.
They have hundreds of products in different niches, but they place a large emphasis on drones and drone development.
AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition Description
The drone in the Elite edition is exactly the same as the one that comes in the Power edition.
You can read our review of the AR Drone 2.0 Power edition here.
What’s the difference between the two editions?
The Power comes with a larger sized battery and extra propellers. Other than that, both editions are exactly the same.
That means the AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition comes with these features:
- Android or iPhone controls– Download their app, connect to the drone’s Wi-Fi and control it! You can either use the simple controls mode and move the AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition by tilting your device, you can use the advanced controls for higher precision. If you have a Windows phone you’ll have to buy a separate controller though.
- 3-D flip mode- Bring your drone high in the air, press the 3-D flip button, and impress your friends with your piloting abilities. This is bound to impress everyone who sees it, at least until you tell them your little secret: the drone does all the work!
- Stability systems– The drone maintains its altitude and automatically stabilizes even in winds of up to 15 miles per hour. However, high winds can (and will) make flying more difficult, so be careful or you might lose your drone even if you’re an experienced pilot.
- One-tap video sharing– Instead of having to transfer the footage to your computer and deal with it there, you can press a button on your phone and the footage will automatically be shared to YouTube. All of your drone footage is automatically uploaded to your phone through Wi-Fi so you won’t miss any cool moments during flight because you forgot to press the record button.
- 720p camera– The camera isn’t full HD and it’s not amazing, but it’s reasonable for the price of the AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition.
AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition Battery
The Elite Edition drone comes with a 1,000mah battery while the Power edition comes with two 1,500mah batteries. The smaller battery gets about 10 minutes of flight time vs 15 minutes for the larger one.
However, the good news is that you can get a 2,300mah battery and get nearly 25 minutes of flight time without breaking the bank.
Add that to the 1,000mah battery you get, and you pretty much get the exact same flight time as the Power edition for pretty much the same price.
AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition Other Comments
Just like the Power edition, we don’t see much of a reason to buy the Elite edition considering that Parrot stopped updating the software for the drone, so whatever you get now is what you’ll have 2 years down the line.
Even though the AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition is high-quality and a great buy, it might be a better idea to buy one of the other drones on our list because of the lack of updates for the AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition.
However, if you do decide to buy it, you should know about some of the negatives the AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition has:
- Short range because of Wi-Fi controls- You can extend this using a range booster, but not by much.
- Touch controls aren’t as sensitive as physical joystick controls- It’s easy to use and pilot, but it’s not as sensitive as a real joystick is.
- Fixed camera- The camera that comes with the drone isn’t terrible, but the biggest issue you’ll probably have with it is that it’s unmoveable. That’s great if you want to record footage that is parallel to the AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition, but if you’re trying to record something under the drone, you can’t do that without moving it.
- Resellers have bad quality– If you can buy the drone from a high-quality reseller, you’ll get a good drone. However, most of the resellers out there sell half-broken drones at full-price and don’t deal with returns.
And now the positives:
- Extremely easy to fly– Even if you’ve never flown a drone or played video games before, the AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition will be extremely easy and intuitive to fly.
- Durable– It can survive crashes into trees or the ground without any issues. Don’t bang it up on purpose, but if you have a couple accidents it will still work fine.
- Packed with features– The AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition comes with a ton of features for a reasonable price.
AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition Conclusion
While this is a great drone, there are other better options out there that are better for the price.
Considering that Parrot stopped updating the software for the AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition and there are other similar drones out there, there’s no reason for getting this exact model unless you find a deal on it.